Thursday, December 8, 2011

Strange things aFoot...

I've spent the better part of my life swearing I would never run unless something far greater was tailing me with a hungry look in its eye.  Even then I'd probably hesitate to actually pick up the pace because chances are I could just nag the perpatrator to death.

"What is this a mugging?  You call this a mugging? Seriously you're trying to mug me?  You know I already saw your face right?  My credit card companies will hunt you down.  Aww come on, this is ridiculous, look at your life, look at your choices..."

Cut to June of this year when I said to myself;

"Self, if you run, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

The answer is I hate every single solitary minute of it, until afterward, when I self-righteously find a way to sneak in "I'm a 'runner' " into almost every conversation.  (I know...I even impress annoy myself)

I ran all summer long using the Couch2,5K app on my handy little iphone.  I had good days (the ones where I didn't want to fling myself off the nearest bridge for this harebrained idea) and bad days (where I went bridge hunting).  I had so many ups and downs training that I was beginning to think I was dating the little dude in my headphones (it was the peak of summer, hot as balls, and I was beyond delirious, cut me some slack).

I signed up with my neighbor running buddy and a few others for a 5k which is this Saturday.  It's holiday themed and they give you a santa hat and beard for goodness sake...people this race was made for me!

And so here I am less than 48 hours out from my first ever 5k and my foot looks like this:

My sad little foot
Because I have the BEST luck EVER!  Luckily my foot stopped throbing about two days ago, now it's just plain ugly.  We can chock this up to a very unfortunate encounter with a very heavy cookie sheet...'tis the season.

6 comments:

  1. It's too late for ice. That's why I was limping a bit last Saturday. I think I'll survive, it's not nearly as bad as your injury was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would walk the 5K if it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pro tip: 800mg Advil before the race. Bruises won't hurt so much once the adrenaline kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are badass! Markus would say you're gettin some! (ask him, it's not what you think but some obscure Shark Fitness reference)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think person committed enough to post a photo of their foot on the internet, will probably be committed enough to run on Saturday.

    (Either that or she's a really great strategist... bruised foot = more bragging rights? Good call, SK.)

    ReplyDelete